Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Baby Blog Continues...

Dr. Allon was absolutely wonderful! He explained the IVF process in great detail from start to finish including all the medications (what, why and how), the procedure itself, the two week wait and all the extras that went along with it. His approach was very holistic by nature. He allowed me to continue my herbal regimen and added some extra vitamins to my daily routine. He also recommended acupuncture on a regular basis including right before and after the actual procedure.

We were impressed with Dr. Allon's professionalism and knowledge but even more so by his enthusiasm and positivity - it was contagious! We left his office that day ready to take the next step and have a baby.

And so it began...I started my injections (a bunch of them) on October 3, 2010 along with medication, regular blood work and ultrasounds to monitor my reaction. I could give myself some of the shots like the ones in my stomach but others had to be in my rear end - those were a little tougher so I made Brian do 'em. He hated it so much that I finally figured out a way to do those myself too. Silly squeamish men!

Throughout the process, Dr. Allon tracked my progress and he and his nurse stayed in constant contact with me via phone or email. Finally, on October 14 it was decided that it was time to take my HCG injection and prepare for the egg retrieval. I had the next day off (so to speak) meaning no meds or injections. Ahhh...what a great day. Then, on October 16, Dr. Allon successfully retrieved 9 eggs.

So the first part of this journey was behind us. We had our eggs. The next step was to see how many would fertilize, become our little embryos and make it to maturation.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment