Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Radio MASH Recap


The Women of MASH

The week following Thanksgiving was a crazy one.  Our 29 Annual Radio MASH Toy Drive started that next Wednesday and ran all the way through Sunday.  It was our biggest MASH ever and as a result we also had the greatest number of toy orders to fill - 6122 to be exact.  We had expanded this year's event to cover Caldwell, Snook, Somerville, Hearne, Franklin and Navasota. 


Trying out some of the toys

This was my 7th Radio MASH.  I still remember my first time...I was doing the night shift on KORA from 6pm-Midnight so my shifts at the MASH compound corresponded to that.  I was out there til Midnight each night and that first year I'm pretty sure it snowed on me!  The years following I experienced all sorts of weather - rain, sleet, snow but this year was the first time I ever wore shorts to Radio MASH.  That's right, I was talking about Christmas while standing outside getting a mild sunburn, wearing shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.  CRAZY! 

Carolyn the red nosed reindeer


This was also the first year that I was actually worried that we were not going to reach our goal.  In years past, by Sunday afternoon we were pretty much finished.  This year, when I left the MASH compound at 8pm we were still more than 200 toys short of reaching our goal.  Aiden and I had cleaned out his toy box of toys he didn't play with anymore and made two additional shopping trips to Target to find things for the older boys and girls - I was tapped out financially and emotionally.  It broke my heart to think that there would be some children who may not have a single present to open on Christmas morning but what could I do? 


jumping for joy at MASH

I could do one more break on the radio...one more plea to others to bring just one toy.  That could be all we needed to make the difference.  AND, it worked!  My message was heard.  In fact, we received a facebook post from a listener who said she heard me and she sent my message to hundreds of people on facebook.  Within the hour, cars were rolling through the MASH compound and we were back in business.  I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!

So, despite the not so Christmassy weather the wonderful peeps in the Brazos Valley came through again.  Because of their generous donations, we were able to fill over 6,200 toy orders.  And, trust me, no toy went to waste.  Every year there are parents who show up at MASH begging for any little toy we can spare for their child.  We were able take care of the children on our initial list and all of those last minute orders too. 

Me and Randy Rogers at MASH!
It's experiences like this that remind me just how blessed I am...how blessed we all are...Thank you, God!  For with You, all things are possible.







No comments:

Post a Comment