Monday, December 10, 2012

Lots and lots of updates (since Thanksgiving)

Thanksgiving morning we got up extra early to run the Turkey Trot.  I use the term run very loosely.  Regardless, we were in the parking lot of Scott and White Clinic with about 1000 other trotter at 7am.  Last year Emrie and I did the Family Friendly 1 Mile Walk while Brian and Aiden did the 5k.  This year it was my turn.  So as Brian and Emrie prepared for the 1 mile, Aiden and I shot out of the starting gate to do the 5k.  My friend from work, Jon Buchanan, was there.  He actually won the Turkey Trott a couple years back so Aiden thought it would be more fun to run with Jon then me. So when I say we shot out of the starting gate what I really mean is Aiden shot out trying to keep up with Jon and I was left trailing behind trying to catch up with them.  I finally caught up with Aiden around mile 2.  He was tired and said he legs hurt so he wanted to walk.  We walked about half a mile and then I convinced him we should jog/run the last leg of the 5k and then sprint across the finish line.  He seemed on board but after jogging a few steps, he said he needed to walk again because his legs were too sore to run.  As we began closing in on the last quarter mile, we were going down hill and could almost see the finish line, Aiden looked at me and said with a big goofy grin "so long sucker" and took off!  Now I know why they call it the Turkey Trot!  That little turkey was setting me up so that he could beat me across the finish line.  Well, I was not about to let that happen so I sprinted after him mustering what little energy I had left and willed my legs to hustle.  RUN BRANDIE RUN!  Aiden ended up crossing the finish line a 10th of a second before me!   

This was our second year to do the Turkey Trot and I think we're going to make it a family tradition.  Not only was it fun but I don't feel nearly as guilty for eating all the turkey and dressing and mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and green bean casserole and corn and pie and ice cream after running a little over 3 miles that same morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment