Thursday, March 31, 2011

26 Week Check Up

Yesterday: I started my morning 7:45 at the Scott and White lab. Well, let me back up. I started my morning an hour before with a big bottle of some kind of super sweet orange drink stuff. It actually tasted like an Orange soft drink but way sweeter. Exactly an hour later I was at the lab for my blood glucose test. After which I met my hubby for a quick breakfast and then it was off to my appointment with Dr. Appelton. I weighed in...gained 4 pounds since my last visit a month ago for a total 17. From here on out I think I'm supposed to gain a pound a week. We'll see about that. Next she measured my tummy. Everything is right on track as far as size goes. Then we listened to the baby's heartbeat. It was pretty fast and loud. It sounded like a horse running : ) Dr. Appelton said it was a little fast but well within the norm considering I had just downed a big bottle of sugar water. We got all of our hospital paperwork and we were out the door. Today: My lab work came back and my blood glucose level was high. 160. She said they prefer to see it around 140. I dont know why I was so surprised. I've been craving and drinking practically a milkshake a day. I figured it was made with milk - it couldnt be too bad for me. So now I have to take the 3 hour blood glucose test on Tuesday. It doesn't sound like much fun - 3 bottles of orange sugar water followed by 3 blood tests over a 3 hour period. Yikes! If the baby's heartbeat was crazy before look out after all that sugar. Hopefully, everything will turn out fine but just in case I spent most of the day reading up on gestational diabetes. Looks like I'm going to have to cut out my Jethro size bowl of Frosted Flakes every night. Please say a little prayer for me and my little cupcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment