Thursday, June 23, 2011

KORA HAS LOST A LEGEND AND FRIEND

What a sad day...yesterday, Roy Gene Munse lost his fight against liver cancer and passed away at his home surrounded by family and friends. We received word at the station around 12:45pm. Chris Austin made the announcement on air at 1pm followed by a moment of silence in Roy's honor. The rest of the afternoon Chris and I shared Roy stories and played some of his original songs including my all time favorites I've Seen You Naked and She Wasn't All Bad...Only 90%. We received lots of heartfelt phone calls as well as dozens of posts on our facebook page. It was difficult to talk on the radio at times - while the songs were playing I was crying and sometimes even when I was talking I was crying but your kind words about Roy helped me get through day.

I know Roy would be upset at the big deal we're all making about him but he touched so many of our lives that it wouldn't be right not to make a big deal. Even if you never met him in person, you knew all about him and became part of his family through his radio show.

Roy was part of the Brazos Valley Community on air for 30 years. Amazing! He spent more than half of his life on the radio doing what he did best - making people smile. I loved working with him. He made radio fun. I'm really going to miss him and his wacky sense of humor.

Rest in Peace Roy.

No comments:

Post a Comment