Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Delivery...

I know some of you may not want all the gory details of the delivery so don't worry - no pictures! I just wanted to take this opportunity to share my experience with you and say thank you to all the folks who helped along the way.

Brian and I checked into St. Jo's at 3pm on Thursday, June 30 for a scheduled induction. At the last ultrasound it was determined that the baby could be pretty large if we went full term PLUS I was miserable so Dr. Appleton had mercy on me and decided a week early would be okay. It was a long night. Kudos to my hubby who never left my side and to my parents, in-laws and Aiden who all waited patiently for the baby to arrive.

At 5pm on Friday, July 1 I finally got the go ahead to start pushing. So I pushed...and pushed...and pushed...and NOTHIN'! After 2 hours we were given the option to keep on pushin' or opt for the c-section. I chose the c-section. Now before you judge let me just say that the doctor didn't think all the pushing in the world was going to help. Emrie was wedged way up there and simply wasn't moving down. So I could have pushed for another hour and then had the c-section but why postpone the inevitable?

Ahhh...the c-section. I have to admit it FREAKED ME OUT! I must have some kind of control issue - please ask Brian for details :) With the epidural I couldn't feel my legs...my arms were stretched out on both sides of me and I had a huge sheet hanging in front of my face. All this combined with the sheer knowledge that I was about to have a baby was overwhelming. If I wasn't already claustrophobic I got that way real fast! Couldn't get up. Couldn't see what was going on. So, I just closed my eyes and prayed for God to get me through this...as fast as possible. And He did. By 8:07pm Emrie was here!

BIG THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CARE GIVERS AT ST. JOSEPH'S! A special thanks to my Labor and Delivery Nurse - Jenny, for volunteering to work on her day off to help me deliver on Friday. Thanks also Sandra for taking the night shift. Thanks to all my doctors - Appleton, Hibbs and Burch. Thanks Carol and LaDonna my nurses who made my hospital stay a pleasant one. And Sarah, Emrie's overnight nursery nurse. You were all awesome!

My apologies if I left anyone's name off the list. It's only been a week but already kind of a blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment